The Smoky Valley Railroad Association offers a unique chance to experience early American travel. You and your family can enjoy an educational adventure down the rails of history on an excursion train comprised of antique railroad equipment. Enjoy many original features along the tour which create a memorable outing for everyone!
* Gondola Car – Sit in the Missouri Pacific open air observation car and feel the fresh Kansas breeze.
* Steam Locomotive – See the historic Santa Fe 4-6-2 “Pacific” #3415 steam locomotive built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1919.
* Caboose – Experience a view for a special fare, from the Union Pacific Caboose that completes the train.
* Diesel Locomotive – Feel the power from the 1945 ALCO S-1, with its 660hp diesel engine that was originally designed for WWII submarines.
* Dinner Trains – Enjoy a relaxing “dinner in the diner” on one of Abilene and Smoky Valley’s special dinner trains. Reservations required. Call for schedule and fares.
* Bridge – Catch the thrill as the train travels over the Smoky Hill River on the old, high, steel bridge.
* Acquire first hand experience by working on and operating the train through volunteer networks.rn